October 22, 2014, 10:36:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
French German Italian Dutch Spanish Portuguese Korean Chinese Simplified Japanese Greek Arabic Russian
News: Let's get together in Chat on Tuesday evening, 9 pm Eastern Time - ___

Home   Help Search Chess Login Register PipeChat Auctions  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nimrod Commander  (Read 1507 times)
Jonesing
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:56:27 pm »

I accidentally bought this old refurbished Nimrod Commander pipe lighter.  Didn't expect to win even though I likely piad more than it's worth. A new zippo would cost just a couple bucks more.  But something about it struck me.  Pretty cool that it's probably about 55-60 years old.

Seems the best known Nimrod model was the other little pull and push tube lighter. From what I read the commander was made before Zippo introduced their pipe lighter insert.

Anyway, it can't be any worse than some of the other lighters I've bought and then abandoned when they stop working right.

Anyone have or had one of these Nimrod Commanders?

You'll have to scroll down since the auction ended.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140431271389&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

TommyTree
Rationer of the Longbottom Leaf
United States United States

It's all Earl's Fault!

S
thetommytree TheTommyTree 110557172184776259015
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 05:59:52 pm »

Don't have one myself, but I like it. It sure is distinctive. I'm sure you won't have any serious smokers mistaking that for a Zippo.

"Mustard does not have a moral!" Katie Lee
Tortoise

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 06:11:57 pm »

I think it's cool. It should not be too difficult to maintain because it's a flint lighter which is just mechanical right? You may need a new flint or a new wheel at some point, but I imagine it will work for a long time.

"I really love my record collection. I just wish they were smaller, more expensive, and illegal to share with my friends." Tim
Pipes and Bikes
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:06:37 pm »

Never had one myself. I have bid on a dozen or so of the nimrod cylinder style lighters but there seems to always be someone willing to pay more than I  Cheesy
Jonesing
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:46:46 pm »

I think it's cool. It should not be too difficult to maintain because it's a flint lighter which is just mechanical right? You may need a new flint or a new wheel at some point, but I imagine it will work for a long time.

That's sort of what I thought.  Should be as easy to maintain as a zippo. I guess I'll find out when it arrives.
dukeofbluz

S
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 10:54:20 pm »

oh man thats sweet!

Good job

If you would like to view my pipes please check out my picture trail:http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/listing/user/dukeofbluz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

In Memory of Bob Runowski aka Morleysson

All donations are exclusively used to cover the running cost of PipeChat

pipecraft.org natekingpipes.com clarkpipes.com handcraftedpipes.com pietenpauw.co.za askwithpipes.com Photobucket